I made my first batch of root beer today. For 7L I used: 3cups cane sugar 2oz sarsaparilla 0.8oz wintergreen leaves 0.25oz licorice root 0.5cups honey (added at end of boil) 2T molasses 0.25t nutmeg The recipe is a simplified version of this person’s. I boiled for about 45 minutes, cooled, and pitched a little… Continue reading Root Beer
Tonight I made a mount for my march pump which protects the pump and lets me hang it off the side of my brew stand. Typically I set it on an upturned bucket which works just fine, but this doesn’t involve building something! The sheet metal is from a piece of air ducting with its… Continue reading March Pump Mount and Splash Guard
I did made a Classic American Pilsener today which used 5oz of hops. I was very patient with letting the trub settle out after whirlpooling and got some nicely clear wort. In order to get a better whirlpool I removed the chiller and let the pump go for a few more minutes. The false bottom… Continue reading Kettle False Bottom Demonstration
Here’s the recipe I used for my berliner weisse. 3.75# Pils 3# Wheat Malt (Rahr I believe) 1oz Hallertau Wyeast 3191 B. Weisse blend I followed Jamil’s technique in his Brewing Classic Styles book and boiled for 15 minutes. At first the beer had a worrisome, very strong wheat taste but it’s since subsided. It’s… Continue reading Berliner Weisse Recipe
The spots that once dotted the top of my berliner weisee disappeared one day and were replaced by a greasy smear. There are still bubbles on top which indicates a slow ferment. Wyeast correctly recommended a long aging period with the 3191! I don’t know what’s left for the yeast to much on, really. I… Continue reading Berliner Weisse Part 2
Taking an established beverage and adding lime flavor is a popular trend so I decided to follow suit with my ginger ale recipe. In a 6L batch I added the zest of two limes as well as the juice of 1.5 of them (the other 0.5 went into another recipe). Additionally I bumped up the… Continue reading Ginger Ale – Now With Lime!
I did a Berliner Weisse with Wyeast’s 3191 VSS. It’s been in secondary for about a month and has developed some nice bacterial colonies on top. A few days ago the fermentation started up again as you can see by all the bubbles. Perhaps the Brettanomyces woke up? In any event the carboy is developing… Continue reading Berliner Weisse
In January 2007 I did a coffee beer experiment which tried three different methods of infusing coffee into an oatmeal stout. My wishful-thinking goal was to reproduce Bell’s Java Stout, my favorite coffee-flavored beer. The methodology was to make a base oatmeal stout to then add coffee in secondary. The end results were pretty good.… Continue reading Coffee Beer Experiment
Once you realize StarSan foam isn’t going to hurt your beer you welcome sights like these. This is from racking into a foamy carboy and the pushed-out foam coiling around the tube. I see it as a protective blanket over the beer!
In the summer of 2006 I tried to replicate J.W. Lee’s Barrel-Aged Harvest Ale Series by soaking wood chips in alcohol and then blending with a barley wine. The Harvest Ales are truly wonderful beers and I was hoping to recreate the cohesive set of pure, clean flavors that these beers have (try them for… Continue reading Barrel Simulation Experiment