In my 2010 Toyota Tacoma’s (two door, regular cab) there isn’t much storage space. There is a narrow space behind the seat so I build some containers to be able to store stuff that wouldn’t fit in the glove box.
I made two caddies, one to go to the right of the seat belt and one to go where the jack handle straps down.
I used some cheap 1/4″ OSB because that’s what scrap wood I had on hand but I wouldn’t make them out anything much thicker because it’s overkill and it would eat into your storage space. Nicely enough Toyota welded some nuts behind the horizontal tube so I was able to securely fasten the caddies to the back wall. The nuts are M6 with a 1.00 thread pitch, and I used 20mm machine bolts.
The caddies can only be about 5″ deep or else the seat will hit them when adjusted all the way back.
Don’t make them too wide or else they will interfere with the seat tilt lever
I didn’t bother to make bottoms as the things I’m storing are large and won’t slip though. However I did wind up having to put some smaller bungees into a small box. If I eventually need bottoms I’ll staple on some webbing or fabric.
Both sides have an “ear” that sticks out to the threaded nut; this was because I was unable to go any farther to the left with the caddy.
To get an accurate measurement of the distance between the threaded holes I traced them gravestone-style onto a piece of paper and then transferred those holes onto my wood.
In the past I’ve used one of those 11lb Esacli scales for weighing out grain. It works well enough but the size of your container is limited by its plate so I only ever could weigh 4 pounds at a time. While getting a bunch of other cheap junk to play with from DealExtreme I picked up a hanging scale. It hangs from my basement ceiling and works very nicely for weighing out grain. Tare the bucket, dump in the required amount of one grain, tare, dump in the next, etc.
Ideally I’d have a plate scale that could handle 30+ pounds but this was a much cheaper alternative1
Today I made my annual pumpkin beer and I took the easy way out by using some butternut squash for the vegetable portion. They’re a lot easier to find than pie pumpkins, and are cheap. The flavor after roasting wasn’t all that different from pumpkins of years past so I didn’t feel too bad about cheating.
I grabbed four of them at a local farmer’s market for $3.50, split & cleaned then, and roasted them @ 375 for 2:15.