Someone on Reddit was wondering how many kegs a cylinder of CO2 would carbonate. Using some constants from Wikipedia and absolutely no gas expansion temperature correction I made a quick spreadsheet to estimate the number. Feel free to play with the input numbers to fit your situation. Here it is!
The gas density constant I used was calculated @ 32F, and with most kegerators being in the low 40s I figured this was close enough.
The “too long, didn’t read it” answer: for a 5 pound tank you’ll be able to force-carb about 17 5-gallon batches @ 2.5 volumes.
Because I very rarely brew the same thing twice I wind up with a lot of leftover specialty grains. I had been storing them in a motley crew of plastic canisters, jelly jars, and plastic bags. After losing track of what I had on hand and buying a few redundant grains I decided that I needed to be a bit more organized about this. Many of my grains were in bags piled up in buckets which made them hard to find and easy to forget about.
I found some inexpensive square jars from US Plastic and bought a variety of the 128oz, 64oz, and 32oz jars. The 128oz jar holds a little under 5# of grain. I chose the square ones because they save space.
For my odds & ends I used the small 32oz jar plus some selected jars from my old collection. I really just wanted to make sure that I could see what I have on hand.
For grains which I have a lot of I use Gamma Seals on hardware store 5-gallon pails. Each holds around 21 pounds of grain. US Plastic also sells the Gamma Seal, and this plus a $2.50 bucket makes for a relatively cheap way to store bulk grain – certainly cheaper than pet food containers.
Every brewery needs a way to clean things, but people’s methodologies don’t get much press because they’re usually the least-sexy parts of the brewery. I’ve dual-purposed my laundry tub into a small brewery cleaning area.
When I bought my house this corner of the basement was almost ready for a washer / dryer as it there was a drain pipe and water nearby. So when I ran the plumbing along the wall I also stubbed in tees for the hose. The most useful part is the permanently plumbed-in garden hose. In order to control the hold & cold water I bought the cheapest faucet I could find. It’s a real piece of crap, all plastic, and I would not buy one again. Off of that I split to the garden hose and my jet sprayer.
A piece of brass rod was used to give the sprayer some “backbone” as it would maddeningly flop all over without it.